Woman dies from rare brain-eating disease after using neti pot

Woman dies from rare brain-eating disease after using neti pot

"Within 1 week she was more somnolent and then became comatose...."

Doctors are warning people about the dangers of using non-sterile water in a neti pot after a 69-year-old Seattle woman died from brain-eating amoebas.

But the problems never went away. However, during surgery, they discovered it was something much more unusual, according to KCPQ.

A Seattle woman died after becoming infected with a brain-eating amoeba. When the doctors looked at these samples of the tissue under the microscope, they could see the amoebas.

For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today. Since 1993, the CDC says, there have been at least 70 cases in the United States.

Dr. Charles Cobbs said when he operated it was just dead brain tissue.

The contaminated water went up the woman's nose "toward [the] olfactory nerves in the upper part of her nasal cavity", The Seattle Times reported, which ultimately caused the infection which first appeared as a red sore on her nose. It was sent to a lab at the prestigious Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, where a scientists said he suspected an amoeba infection.

The "yield curve" is inverting (gasp!) - should investors freak out?
The Fed has increased the rate three times this year, with another expected in December, to prevent inflation from accelerating. Whatever the situation with the Fed and the USA markets, emerging markets may be effected even more than the US economy.

The woman had gone to the doctor for a chronic sinus infection and was instructed to use a saline irrigation to clear out her sinuses, but while sterile water or saline is recommended, she used water filtered by a Brita Water Purifier, according to a case study in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases. "At this point, the family chose to withdraw support".

She contracted an amoeba called Balamuthia mandrillaris.

Dr. Cobbs says the woman carried an amoeba called Balamuthia mandrillaris that kills the brain cells slowly over time. But the case in Seattle signals that it can happen anywhere.

A year ago the U.S. Food and Drug Administration also issued a warning that improper use of Neti pots and other nasal irrigation systems could lead to risky infections, including one with a brain-eating amoeba. "Often patients will think that using bottled water is fine and assume it is distilled, it that is actually not the case".

Researchers found that the single-celled organisms likely infected the woman's brain through her nasal cavity by way of a neti pot, a teapot shaped product used to rinse out the sinuses, about a year earlier.

In 2011, Louisiana health officials warned residents not to use nonsterilized tap water in neti pots after the deaths of two people who were exposed to Naegleria fowleri while flushing their nasal passages.

"If you do use a neti pot. you should be very aware that it has to be absolute sterile water or sterile saline", Cobbs said, according to Q13 News.

Related Articles