Huawei seeks urgent meetings to clarify NZ 5G rejection

Huawei seeks urgent meetings to clarify NZ 5G rejection

The New Zealand Herald reported that Spark had been informed of the ban by Andrew Hampton, director general of the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB).

Speaking in Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang expressed "serious concern", and said China-New Zealand business ties were mutually beneficial and win-win.

Huawei has been involved in other telecommunications systems in New Zealand such as its 4G mobile network, and is investing NZ$400 million ($271.88 million) into research and development. The Chinese government publicly objected to the Australian move.

In response to this latest blow, which comes just months after Australia banned Huawei from supplying 5G kit, the Chinese firm said it was "looking into the matter".

Spark rival 2degrees said it had noted the decision and was "seeking clarity on it".

GCSB director-general Andrew Hampton effectively confirmed a statement by Spark on Wednesday that it had declined a proposal by Spark to use Huawei equipment in a 5G mobile network that Spark aims to have in operation in 2020.

He had no issue with Huawei gear that's already in Spark and other telco's networks or, potentially, Huawei different technology being used in future upgrades; Spark could still work with Huawei to address the security risk with 5G, the GCSB Minister said.

Brexit Impact Papers: How Much Would Each Deal Affect The Economy?
Philip Hammond has admitted that "in pure economic terms" the United Kingdom will be worse off under all possible Brexit outcomes. In this scenario, the unemployment rate will hit 5.75 per cent and inflation rises to 4.25 per cent.

Spark said it had wanted to use Huawei 5G equipment in its planned Radio Access Network, which involves technology associated with cell tower infrastructure. "Following our review, Spark will consider what further steps, if any, it will take".

Huawei's Bowater said he denied there was any evidence of wrongdoing by Huawei.

"The Company (Huawei) is a global leader in its field and operates in more than 170 countries worldwide including major European countries like the UK, Italy and Germany".

Huawei has already been practically blocked out of the USA market after six top USA intelligence chiefs, including the CIA, FBI, NSA and the director of national intelligence, told the Senate Intelligence Committee last February that they would not advise Americans to use products or services from Huawei. Last week, the Wall Street Journal reported the USA government was trying to persuade companies in allied countries to avoid Huawei.

A spokesman said in a statement: "Huawei is aware of a range of U.S. government activities seemingly aimed at inhibiting Huawei's business in the United States market".

The GCSB cited "significant national security risks" as the reason for its decision.

Related Articles