Rescuers bring out at least 4 more boys from flooded Thai cave

Rescuers bring out at least 4 more boys from flooded Thai cave

But heavy rain overnight has increased the danger that the water levels in the caves will rise further, adding to the hazards of diving and potentially threatening the elevated bank of sand on which the football team are stranded.

Three Thai navy SEALs who have been with the boys since they were found and the doctor who has been assessing the boys will also be extracted today, Narongsak said.

A total of eight boys have now been brought out of the cave complex.

Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda had said early Monday that the same divers who took part in Sunday's rescue would return to extricate the others as they know the cave conditions and what to do.

The footballers still awaiting rescue are about two kilometers further in, at a point very hard to access.

The rescue operation to extract the 12 members of the Wild Boars junior soccer team and their coach from the Tham Luang Cave commenced on Sunday.

"They are all in good spirits and happy to be out", Jedsada Chokdamrongsuk, permanent secretary of the public health ministry, told reporters.

But while divers risk their lives to get the team out, two Hollywood producers are beginning a project telling the boys's story.

"This morning they said they were hungry and wanted to eat khao pad grapao", Narongsak said, referring to a Thai dish of meat fried with chili and basil and served over rice.

The SEALs say they're still waiting for a medic and three Navy SEALs who stayed with the boys to emerge from the cave.

"What we call bottle off restrictions, where they take have to take the bottles off and fit them through", he said.

Rescuers begin 'challenging' final push to free last five from Thai cave
The boys have been in the cave since June 23 when they were exploring the cave and unexpected rain flooded the tunnels. HE said the eight boys rescued are in "high spirits" and have strong immune systems because they are soccer players.

The latest rescue operation began at about 10.08am local time (1.08pm AEST).

A crack team of foreign divers and Thai Navy SEALS guided the boys out through almost four kilometres of sometimes submerged, pitch-dark channels.

The first four boys have taken these off, but the second group who were rescued on Monday are still wearing the eyewear.

The rescued boys are being quarantined in case any of them contracted infections while inside the cave.

While there was celebration in Chiang Rai, Pichai said he didn't expect anyone to take to the streets elsewhere in the country. When it became clear the boys were likely going to have to dive out, experts were sent in to teach them how to use scuba gear.

Rescue missions are underway in Thailand, with eight boys now having successfully been pulled from the Tham Luang cave where they've been trapped for more than two weeks. Rescue officials were hopeful that the final four boys and their coach would be rescued Tuesday.

Dr Richard Harris, 53, an anaesthetist from Adelaide, undertook the risky dive to reach the boys and their coach last Saturday, reported The Sydney Morning Herald.

Former Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osottanakorn, who led the rescue effort to its completion despite being reassigned halfway through, was also the subject of caricatures calling him an idol and saying he should "stand tall".

Some had even asked for "bread and chocolate spread", he added.

Mr Musk on Tuesday visited the cave and posted pictures and videos online. Mini-sub is ready if needed. Last Friday, an ex-Navy SEAL died while placing oxygen tanks along the 4.7-kilometer (2.9-mile) evacuation route.

Related Articles