First four boys rescued by divers from Thailand cave

First four boys rescued by divers from Thailand cave

Plans to rescue the remaining boys are temporarily on hold as rescuers replenish air tanks in the cave system.

Officials said details of the rescue operation would be revealed on Wednesday.

A team of 13 worldwide cave diving experts and five Thai divers entered the precarious cave system at 10am local time on Sunday, after attempts to drill through to them were abandoned. The rescue efforts involve resources from UK, USA, and local teams as well. The team has been trapped in the cave for two weeks.

The California tunnel company run by Elon Musk is continuing to maintain a presence at the Thai cave.

"(The rescues) have raised the hopes of those watching this very closely, very nervously - and of course the relatives of those trapped".

On Saturday, Musk tweeted that he was interested in designing "a tiny, kid-sized submarine" that would be "light enough to be carried by 2 divers, small enough to get through narrow gaps".

Another official involved in the rescue operation said the initial six who had been saved formed the first group. The first four rescued youths surfaced around 12pm GMT (7am ET) and were immediately taken to hospital to receive treatment.

"Four boys have reached chamber three and will walk out of the cave shortly", Lt.

Loosely translated, it reads "Full face masks; two divers accompanying one boy; guided by rope".

The rescue operation has been joined by several expert divers from Thailand and other countries.

The operation began at 10 a.m.

ABC News reports a fifth boy has been rescued.

U.S. steps up China trade spat with $200bn new tariffs
The now considering levying duties on a further $16 billion in Chinese goods, after a public hearing later this month. Also Monday, German automaker BMW AG said it would raise prices on US -built SUVs exported China due to higher tariffs.

The operation began just hours after the group was reported missing but the heavy rains slowed down the search.

Rescuers have already predicted that it will take another 10 to 12 hours to free the eight remaining boys and their coach from the cave.

The boys and their coach became stranded when they went exploring in the cave after a practice game June 23.

Narongsak said Sunday two divers would escort each of the boys out of the cave.

One of the boys, identified as Tun, wrote: "Mom and Dad, please don't worry, I am fine". A rescue operation is successful.

The cave system, in a limestone mountain range bordering Myanmar in northern Thailand, has proven to be a formidable challenge for the global rescue coalition, drawing some of the world's best divers who have volunteered to help in the operation alongside Thai Navy Seals. That's the name of the young boys' team.

"Today was the best day, the best situation in terms of the weather, the health of the boys, our water management for our rescue effort", the head of the rescue operation, Narongsak Osottanakorn, told a news conference.

Two of them have been taken by ambulance to hospital while another two were airlifted, but none of them were stretchered out. One was that it was unknown how safe and dry the area where they had taken shelter would stay as Thailand's rainy season, which lasts until at least late October, picks up pace. This was earlier than what was expected if conditions were ideal.

"The prime minister said that this kind of event should never happen again on Thai soil", Narongsak said. "We have tried all possible ways to get the boys out, but sometimes we can't win over nature".

On Saturday, Thai Navy SEALs published touching notes scrawled by the trapped footballers to their families, who had been waiting for them agonisingly close by outside the cave entrance.

He added doctors assessed they were "very fit physically and mentally..." The second boy came out 10 minutes later.

Dozens of divers have arrived at the cave on Sunday morning. Workers have been laboring around the clock to pump water out of the cave, and authorities said Monday that heavy downpours overnight did not raise water levels inside.

Related Articles