Texas woman dies after contracting flesh-eating bacteria from oysters in Louisiana

Texas woman dies after contracting flesh-eating bacteria from oysters in Louisiana

A Texas woman who ate raw oysters from a market in Louisiana died after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria, officials said.

Most people contract the bacteria by eating raw or undercooked shellfish, particularly oysters, the CDC noted.

This is a very rare condition, but it can be deadly.

LeBlanc and doctors fought the bacteria for 21 days until she died on October 15, according to KLFY-TV.

"She had severe wounds on her legs from that bacteria", said LeBlanc's partner, Vicki Bergquist. Bergquist told the network that LeBlanc by that time had sustained severe wounds on her legs from the bacteria.

Bergquist told KLFY-TV that LeBlanc was "bigger than life".

Doctors diagnosed LeBlanc with vibriosis.

Weather could work against Eagles vs. Falcons
The Eagles finished the regular season 13-3 and were led for most of the season by MVP candidate Carson Wentz . The Falcons are not facing the same Eagles team that dominated the NFC this season.

The CDC estimates that vibriosis causes 80,000 illnesses each year in the USA, most caused by consuming contaminated food. Most outbreaks occur between the months of May and October.

One specific form of Vibrio bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus, is more unsafe. People can also become infected if they have open wounds on their skin that are exposed to brackish or salt water. But it's very rare: CDC estimates are that there are about 205 cases in the U.S. every year.

Her heartbroken friends and family are now trying to raise awareness about the dangers of the flesh-eating bacteria. The disease can be caused by several types of bacteria. But flesh-eating disease is one of the most common signs of Vibrio vulnificus, according to one study. Still, it's unclear how she was infected. "Most people don't last", Bowers said of her friend.

One study conducted by the Florida state health office found the infection was the leading cause of death from foodborne illness between 1981 and 1992. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has a page on their website devoted to myths associated with raw oysters and the vibrio bacteria that can be contracted as a result.

According to the CDC, it is impossible to tell if an oyster is infected with vibrio bacteria simply by looking at it. She was also struggling to breathe. Among those likely to be affected, according to the CDC, are people who have liver disease, cancer, diabetes or HIV, or those who recently had stomach surgery or take medicine for stomach acid.

Just months earlier, a MS woman died after she and her husband ate contaminated shellfish.

Related Articles