London Mayor Admits Fire Caused by 'Mistakes and Neglect'

London Mayor Admits Fire Caused by 'Mistakes and Neglect'

"We will continue to look at what more needs to be done", Mrs May said in a statement issued by her office.

Police say the harrowing search for remains had paused Friday because of safety concerns at the blackened tower but has resumed.

Cundy said police had started a criminal investigation but there was nothing to suggest "that the fire had been started deliberately".

"The package of support I'm announcing today is to give the victims the immediate support they need to care for themselves and for loved ones". They have have not been seen since the fire.

"No one local authority would be able to cope", he added. One is, are our regulations correct?

The government has promised a full public inquiry, but that has done little to a sense of frustration and anger among residents and neighbours who demand answers for how the blaze spread so quickly and trapped so numerous tower's roughly 600 residents.

Mrs May, criticised in the first few days after the blaze for failing to meet the victims, said the public inquiry looking into the tragedy will report directly to her. Some 600 people were living in the tower's 120 apartments.

"Within the community, trust in the authorities is falling through the floor and a suspicion of a cover-up is rising", said Lammy, who lost a close friend in the fire.

The British government yesterday scrambled to contain the political fallout from the Grenfell Tower inferno that has claimed at least 58 lives as officials focused on building materials that may have caused the fire to spread quickly.

Cladding used on Grenfell Tower blamed for spreading the London blaze is banned in Britain, Finance Minister Philip Hammond says.

Donald Trump had the absolute worst week in Washington
The problem for Trump - and Congressional Republicans - is that Mueller's investigation is going to take time . Trump lashed out on Twitter , calling the news a "witch hunt" and a "phony story".

LONDON (AP) - The new exterior cladding used in a renovation on London's Grenfell Tower may have been banned under United Kingdom building regulations, two British ministers said Sunday as police continued their criminal investigation into the inferno that killed at least 58 people.

"We've always been advocates of automatic fire sprinkler protection in tall tower blocks and they work - people don't die in sprinkler buildings", he said.

Hands cautioned Sunday that investigators still don't know exactly what cladding was used when the building renovation was completed previous year.

"As we do everything we can to help them, we will make sure they have the counselling and emotional support they need in the hard days, weeks and years ahead".

"The prime minister is this morning chairing a cross-government meeting to ensure everything possible is being done to support those affected by the Grenfell tragedy", the spokesman said.

The MP called on the government to find and preserve all emails, meeting documents, correspondence with contractors, safety assessments, specifications and reports in order to withhold justice for the victims.

"When the truth comes out about this tragedy, we may find that there is blood on the hands of a number of organisations", Lammy said.

This included the 30 already confirmed dead, according to Commander Stuart Cundy.

At least 58 people were likely killed in a fire which engulfed a London tower block earlier this week, police said on Saturday.

Related Articles