That actually wasn't the case - despite implications from the Trump administration, the US didn't have an aircraft carrier strike group near North Korea last weekend.
The strike group, which includes the aircraft carrier, its 60-plus aircraft, the guided-missile destroyers USS Wayne E. Meyer and USS Michael Murphy and the guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain are now expected to arrive off the Korean peninsula by the end of April, several United States defense officials told the CNN.
The regime of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has launched more than half a dozen missiles since President Trump took office in January, which is seen as a test of the new administration. President Donald Trump the next day said on the Fox Business Network that 'we are sending an armada. We have submarines, very powerful, far more powerful than the aircraft carrier.
Unnamed Korean government sources told the Korea Herald today that Vinson is expected to join an exercise off the nation's east coast on April 25, the anniversary of the founding of the North Korean army.
The White House would not comment on the gaffe, referring questions to the Pentagon.
President Trump views North Korea as the biggest threat to peace in the world, and recently dispatched Vice President Mike Pence to Korea to issue a stern warning that the US had lost its patience with the North.
Samsung profits up 48% despite Note 7 fire troubles
In fact, on the whole South Korea's stock market has been doing pretty well, with foreign funds pumping in $3bn. Samsung launches its new C series of phablets in India with the C9 Pro in January 2017.
As with other Trump-related incidents, it remains unclear whether the Carl Vinson sailing away from the Korean Peninsula represented an act of misdirection, intentional deception, or ordinary incompetence on behalf of the Trump administration.
The statement said that the Vinson would head north "rather than executing previously planned port visits to Australia".
The controversy surrounding the group's route began with a photo released by the US Navy on April 15 that showed the carrier passing north through the Sunda Strait, the passage between the Indonesian islands of Sumatra and Java, about 5,600 kilometers from the peninsula.
The US also accused North Korea of trying to "provoke something", with US Defence Secretary James Mattis calling the test a reckless move on Tuesday.
"The training leading up to deployment and on deployment has prepared us to be ready to respond to the call", Kilby wrote.
The Navy on April 8 said it was directing a naval strike group headed by the USS Carl Vinson supercarrier to "sail north" as a "prudent measure" to deter North Korea.