Alonso's decision to compete in May's Indianapolis 500 opens up space for the 37-year-old, who is still registered as a backup driver, to make a return at one of the sport's most hard tracks on 28 May.
Britain's Jenson Button will stand in for Fernando Alonso at next month's Monaco Formula One Grand Prix while the Spaniard competes in the Indianapolis 500 on the same day, McLaren announced on Friday.
McLaren did not confirm whether Button would take part in the post-Bahrain Grand Prix test next week, but it would be the obvious opportunity for Button to familiarise himself with the McLaren MCL32 aside from simulation work.
Earlier this week, McLaren Formula One driver and two-time Champion Fernando Alonso announced he would be skipping the Monaco Grand Prix this year to run the Indianapolis 500 with Andretti Autosport.
"It's one of my all-time favourite racetracks", said the victor of 15 Grands Prix.
His biggest achievement came in 2009 when he won the championship with Brawn GP, while he became the first team-mate to beat Lewis Hamilton over the course of one season in 2011.
Alonso has ruled out the possibility of doing more than one IndyCar race this season and he plans to use the time between Indianapolis and his return to the F1 scene in Canada for a well-earned rest, whether he returns home with the famous Borg-Warner Trophy in tow or not.
Button isn't expecting miracles in Monaco - McLaren has been dogged by reliability issues since switching to Honda engines in 2015 - but is determined to do his best and have some fun. "It'll be nice to say hi to all my old F1 mates too, and hopefully to give the fans something to cheer about".
OU Awarded Multiple NCAA Postseason Events
The 2002, 2007and 2016 regionals have all been held at the LSU home course, the site of the 2021 regional, the University Club. This will be the first time in school history the men's or women's teams in either sport will play host to the championships.
Although Boullier confirmed Button has completed some simulator work at McLaren's Woking HQ since stepping down from a race seat last November, the Briton has not driven the new MCL32 on a race track.
Meanwhile Button, the last driver to win a race for McLaren in 2012, insisted it would not take him long to get used to the feeling of being in the cockpit of a Formula One vehicle once again.
McLaren announced earlier in the week that double world champion Alonso would compete at Indianapolis with a vehicle run by Andretti Autosport, last year's winners.
Triple world champion Hamilton, who joined Mercedes from McLaren in 2013 and is now leading the championship with Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel, said his former team mate and fellow Monaco resident was the obvious choice.
"It's great that a driver is able to do the Indy 500 and I think us drivers should be able to do more than one series", Hamilton said ahead of the third round of the championship in the desert.
'Jenson is a class act. Also, he's always been good at Monaco. "So, personally, I think he needs to see a psychiatrist". He'll be extremely prepared and I think he's going to put on a good show.
Alonso, who has 32 grand prix victories, didn't earn a point in the first two races of the 2017 season - in Australia and China - and McLaren is struggling to be competitive, just like last season.